In one week alone, the Sheriff’s Department Search and Rescue Unit has responded to nine rescues. The incidents varied from falls, to exhaustion and dehydration to lost hikers. With temperatures on the rise, the Search and Rescue Unit would like hikers to take safety precautions while enjoying the trails. Pima County’s scenic trails are a great way to spend the day. Before you start, plan ahead, be safe and enjoy the great outdoors.
Here are a few tips to make your hiking experience safe and enjoyable:
- Know your limits.
- Take plenty of water, approximately one liter per hour.
- Check the weather before going hiking as the temperature can rise quickly.
- Keep a safe distance from desert wildlife.
- Take a first aid kit; EpiPens, band aids, antibiotic ointments, etc.
- Have a charged cell phone
- Don’t hike alone.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.